Translate

Monday 8 September 2014

One Night Stay At Platform 1

For few months I had an engineering degree, but no job. Since I was not earning and had plenty of time , I can sleep wherever its free of cost with any sort of facilities I can get luckily. Before you imagine me becoming a street beggar, I was healthy and enjoying traveling across various cities these days, but this was not the period when I got this lovey chance of spending a night at a railway platform.

It was later when I visited the holy city of Ujjain to accompany my grandfather for a medical issue, I had this opportunity and it was so empathetic that made me right the whole story . It was around 12 pm, all the cheap places of stay were already flooded and I was low on money, so hotel is left out of the question. We (me and grandpa) finally stopped by the railway station which was the only cheap and available safe place we could find for the night stay.

I was hired by a company by then, so I was also a little worried about my social status in case somebody known would see me sleeping there, luckily that did not happen. One bed sheet and a shawl for two people. Since I never slept on such nice bed, I was not feeling like sleeping. Train engines were buzzing and hauling wagons all the time and I was just rolling and turning sides to get a couple of hours rest.

What you must be thinking is 'What made me call this a lovely chance' ? The platform was flooded with homeless and helpless people. I only spent one single night and that was also under some circumstances, but for these people this platform is the only roof. I immediately realized that, what I was looking at is the quality of life for poor India. This is what made me say it a lovely chance.

Few days later I was in Bombay and passing by Antila (Ambani's home). This time I was trying to imagine the contrast between the two scenarios. 600+  people hired just to serve 2-3 Ambani's in such a massive structure while on the other hand millions don't have a home in the same country. I just went blank and felt lost. Stressed my mind to list down all the causes created this skyscraper difference between quality of life of two different man's in the same country. 


Well, it was a wonderful night. Not physically, but at least added an important experience to my life and another blog to my blogger. But, I still couldn't figure out answer to my own question, 'what has created such a huge difference between the living standards of two human beings living on the same demographic zone ? Hopefully some day I will have an answer and a solution as well for this very important issue nobody even cares.

Mahesh Dangi

No comments:

Post a Comment